- Ask for salad dressing on the side. Restaurant tend to douse salads in their tastey, fatty salad dressings. Substitute a vinegarette rather than a creamy dressing, and ask for it on the side so you can control how much is actually going onto your salad and into your body!
- Request your meal be cooked with "Pam" or cooking spray rather than in oil. After working at a restaurant, I watched our chefs smother egg white omelets, grilled chicken, vegetables, and all of our 'healthy' dishes with TONS of oil! yuck! Pam will drastically decrease the amount of calories and fat you're ingesting; if you really are craving oils, at least ask for olive oil :)
- Avoid the bread basket! While this is the hardest thing to do, and the greatest act of self control, try to avoid it! Or stick to one piece and be content with it! Or find a whole grain or whole wheat version! Bread spoils your meal, and usually some type of bread is already incorporated into your entree, so stay away!
- Instead of fries or delicious mashed potatoes, try to substitute your "side" for vegetables! And once again, make sure they aren't covered in oil.
- Always opt for 'grilled' instead of 'fried'. You can literally ask for this on anyyy meal! Every restaurant has the option to grill, so don't be afraid to ask. Although deep fried foods are delicious, they are terrible for your body.
Like I've said before, it is always important to treat yourself and not worry about calories when you are out enjoying yourself on a "cheat" day! But if you find yourself going out often, use these tips to not feel so guilty about indulging in a meal you didn't have to prepare yourself :)